Far Reach recently became an official partner with Telerik’s Sitefinity content management system (CMS)
, and we now use it to build most of our websites
. (CMS platforms allow you to centralize editing and publishing for a website via a single back-end interface.)
Over the past few years, we’ve tried several other content management systems—everything from open source applications to building our own. However, we didn’t feel any of these solutions were user-friendly and flexible enough to truly put clients in control of their own websites.
Then, along came Sitefinity. Chad, our lead web developer, did some research and we decided to move forward with Sitefinity for a number of reasons:
- Telerik products are used by over 100,000 companies worldwide: The credibility connected to the Telerik brand is important to us. We've trusted other quality Telerik tools for our developers.
- .NET System: Because Sitefinity is based on standard .NET technologies, it's a great fit for us as a .NET shop. We can use technologies in which we're well-versed to extend Sitefinity to meet custom requirements.
- Fully Supported: Sitefinity offers a variety of training opportunities for developers and site administrators, and has a very responsive support team. Their online resources are incredibly thorough and they've fostered an active online community of Sitefinity users.
- Usability: As we mentioned before, we were looking for a system that is as user-friendly as possible for our clients. We want clients to feel they have complete control over the content of their websites, and that they can fully use it as the hub of their company’s marketing and communication efforts. (We'll show you some of the features that make Sitefinity so user-friendly in our next post.)
- Ability to customize: We found in most cases, usability and the ability to customize did not go hand-in-hand. Sitefinity is flexible for our developers, allowing us to create very custom websites to help our clients reach their goals.
- Scalable: There's a Sitefinity package appropriate for any size of business, along with many add-on options. Sitefinity makes it easy for clients to add new sections, pages, and content to their websites on their own. It also allows for the implementation of additional functionality in the future without having to start at square one.
- Up-to-date: Because Telerik is an industry leader, they keep the Sitefinity system current and continually add features, with quarterly updates available for all subscribers.
No system is perfect—we run into the occasional minor bug—but we've found Telerik to be very responsive.
The vast majority of the feedback we receive from our clients with Sitefinity sites, especially from those who moved from another CMS, is positive. We’re excited to see these clients keeping their sites up to date and learning to use Sitefinity to its full potential.
Next time, we’ll cover a few of the features and capabilities we love about Sitefinity in more detail. In the meantime, we hope you’ll check out a few of the sites we’ve built using this great tool.