In the world of technology, it seems as though missing a single day of headlines puts you instantly behind. One of the best ways we’ve found to stay on top of trends, while also gathering a little inspiration, is following industry bloggers.
The Far Reach team brainstormed a thorough list of blogs that influence us. This week, we’ll cover our favorite traditional and internet marketing blogs. In the future, we’ll also share some of our favorite technology and entrepreneurial blogs.
- Seth Godin is a Far Reach favorite. Several of us follow him devotedly and his posts have even influenced a few of our own business decisions. According to the bio on his site, “He writes about the post-industrial revolution, the way ideas spread, marketing, quitting, leadership and most of all, changing everything.” His succinct, daily posts inspire us to think in new ways.
- Chris Brogan runs Human Business Works, a company focused on developing digital strategies for mostly larger companies. However, his blog offers insight relevant to anyone navigating today’s business environment. And, he writes about more than marketing – many of his posts cover personal growth topics. One of my favorite Brogan posts is Setting Your Plate.
- Gary Vaynerchuk is irreverent, passionate, and walks the talk. He grew his own family wine business from $3 million to $45 million a year through the e-commerce and social strategies he covers in his blog and books. We’ve written in the past about his book The Thank You Economy here and here.
- Social Media Examiner is an online magazine focused on helping businesses effectively use social media tools. When I hear of changes to Facebook, LinkedIn or any other social media channel, I head straight to this site knowing I’ll find exactly the information I need, explained step-by-step.
- SEOMoz is a suite of search engine optimization (SEO) tools available via subscription. Their blog is a great resource for anyone who needs to keep up with the latest in SEO. The SEOMoz site has a free Beginner’s Guide to SEO which is an easy-to-understand overview if you’re just getting started with SEO.
- Brian Solis describes himself in his bio as a digital analyst, sociologist, and futurist. He writes about disruptive technology and societal trends, and how to adapt accordingly. Solis is the host of the annual Pivot Conference, focused on new media.
- Duct Tape Marketing focuses on marketing for small businesses. The site and blog are based on John Jantsch’s popular books Duct Tape Marketing and The Referral Engine. Jantsch offers smart advice on implementing strategies and systems that make the most of a small business’s resources.
- Occam’s Razor is the blog of Avinash Kaushik, Google’s own Digital Marketing Evangelist and analytics expert. Where did the title “Occam’s Razor” come from? He explains its origin in detail but, the quick answer is, it’s a Latin expression translated as “entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity.” Kaushik preaches we must only measure what matters. His blog and books do an amazing job of cutting through the cluttered—and, let’s face it, pretty dry—world of analytics.
Stay tuned for future posts where we’ll share more of the Far Reach crew’s favorite blogs. In the meantime, what would you add to this list? Please share the blogs you find inspiring in the comments section below.